Overall Job Summary
This position is responsible for maintaining inventory accuracy to keep inventory shortages at or below store goals and maximize stores sales by receiving and shipping freight within a timely manner. The Receiver is responsible for interacting with customers and team members, supporting selling initiatives, and performing assigned tasks, while providing legendary customer service. This position is also responsible for promoting a safe and productive work environment for all Team Members, customers, and vendors, as well as adhering to Tractor Supply Company safety training and guidelines.
Job Duties (Essential Functions)
It is essential that you be available, flexible, adaptable, and service-oriented, as you must be able to fulfill all of the following requirements.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Work scheduled shifts, and have the ability to work varied hours, days, nights, weekends, and overtime as dictated by business needs.
- Take the initiative to support selling initiatives (GURA):
This position is required to perform a combination of the following duties during 95 percent of their day. Although the mix may vary from one day to another, our business and staffing model makes it essential that every person in this position be able to perform all of the following duties accurately, efficiently and safely on a regular basis and without advance notice:
- Greet the Customer.
- Uncover the Customers' needs.
- Recommend products.
- Ask for the Sale.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- Accountable for processing of inbound and outbound freight.
- Maintain accurate inventory control and adhere to loss prevention standards.
- Recovery of merchandise.
- Participate in mandatory freight process.
- Keep a clean, organized, and safe work area.
- Maintain, recover, stock, and tag assigned work areas including all merchandise displayed outside of the store.
- Operate cash register/computer following cash handling procedures as established by Tractor Supply Company.
- Rotation and disposition of dated products.
- Assemble merchandise.
- Operate Forklift.
- Operate Cardboard Baler.
- Complete all documentation associated with any of the above job duties.
Experience: Shipping/receiving experience preferred but not required. Retail experience and/or farming, ranching, pet/equine, or welding knowledge is strongly preferred. Must be 18 years of age or older and possess a valid driver's license.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent is preferred, but not required. Regardless of education level, you must be able to read, write, and count accurately.
Professional Certifications: None.
Other knowledge, skills or abilities:
- Basic computer skills/experience.
- Basic math skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to resolve issues ethically and with minimal conflict.
- Working environment is favorable, generally working inside with moderate noise. Indoor and outdoor lots generally are hard surfaces (concrete, asphalt, etc.) Lighting and temperature are adequate. Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Work shifts vary from one store to another, but generally are no less than 4 hours and may exceed 8 hours.
- Promote a safe and productive work environment for all Team Members, customers, and vendors, as well as adhere to Tractor Supply Company safety training and guidelines.
Physical and Mental Requirements (Essential Functions)
The position is non-sedentary. It is essential that you have the physical and mental stamina and ability to move throughout the store and outdoor areas quickly and safely; to operate all equipment related to their job duties efficiently, safely, properly, and accurately; and to provide the highest level of customer service. You must have the physical and mental ability to perform all of the following tasks (with or without reasonable accommodations):
- Ability to constantly operate a forklift
- Ability to operate and use all other equipment necessary to run a store (e.g. dolly, hand truck, computer, cash register).
- Ability to move and transfer merchandise, weighing up to 50 pounds, throughout the store.
- Ability to push and pull merchandise up to 2,000 pounds with the assistance of proper material handling equipment (e.g. pallet jack)
- Ability to occasionally lift or reach merchandise overhead.
- Ability to frequently stand, kneel, twist, crouch, squat, bend, stoop, and climb ladders.
- Ability to move throughout the store for an entire shift.
- Ability to safely access all areas of the store including selling floor, side lot, stock area, and register area.
- Ability to constantly operate store equipment such as computer, cash register, and other store equipment.
- Ability to read, write, and count accurately to complete all documentation.
- Ability to utilize strong written and verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with team members and customers.
- Ability to process information / merchandise through the point-of-sale system.
- Ability to successfully complete training and certification to dispense propane and to dispense propane.
- Ability to successfully complete all required training.
- Ability to travel as required in support of district needs.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. A team member should perform all duties as assigned by his/ her supervisor.
Under direct supervision, this position is responsible for developing an environment that will maintain inventory accuracy to help keep inventory shortages at or below store goals and maximize stores sales by receiving and shipping freight within a timely manner and following company guidelines and procedures.
- Assists in unloading and accurate receipt of all shipments. Ensure all incoming merchandise has been received in good condition and keyed accurately into the appropriate system. This includes, but is not limited to, Distribution Center deliveries, Vendor Purchase Orders, Transfers In, and Repair Goods Orders. Must be present and verify receipt during the deliveries of propane and welding gas.
- Ensure any eligible incoming freight is security tagged and prepare all merchandise for efficient flow to the selling area.
- Prepares and ships all outgoing freight and ensures merchandise has been accurately keyed out of the inventory system. This includes, but is not limited to, Transfers Out, Battery Returns, Buybacks, and Repair Goods Orders.
- Process outdated merchandise including, but not limited to, batteries, biologicals, magazines, and food.
- Complete and maintain all assigned paperwork in an accurate and timely manner and within company guidelines. This may include, but is not limited to, Receiving Files, Receivers Weekly/Monthly checklists, Forklift Log, Vendor Shipment Summary Report, DC Shipment Summary Report, Transfers In/Out Summary Report, Defective Summary Report, Freight Claims, and Inventory Adjustment Summary Report.
- Greet customers throughout store and engage customer to determine specific needs. Make recommendation and complete the sale utilizing GURA principles.
- Provide register support and customer load outs as needed.
- Contact customers on layaways, special orders, ship-to-store, and rain checks and work to conclusion following the prescribed company guidelines.
- Ensure the fixture area and assembly area is organized and store use tools are spray painted red and keyed to store use.
- Maintain, recover, stock, and tag assigned work areas including all merchandise displayed outside of the store. Participate in recovery of the Sales Floor on a daily basis.
- Ensure feed rotation in receiving is executed 100%. Communicates with Assistant Manager to reduce excess back stock.
- Manage the repair goods process and order missing parts for merchandise.
- Maintain perpetual accuracy through the execution of all defined receiving duties including the weekly execution of Targeting Outs, working Negatives on hand daily, keying defectives and inventory adjustments daily, and inventory preparation. Communicates with TSC Variance Coordinator and vendors to maintain accurate invoice processing.
- Promote a safe and productive work environment for Team Members and customers and adhere to Company safety training and guidelines.
- Dispense propane into various cylinder sizes including TSC forklift cylinders.
- Transport and make deposits to bank by following prescribed procedures.
- Ensure all batteries are identified with labels and neatly organized on proper skids
- Perform other duties as assigned by a supervisor
- Ability to resolve issues ethically and with minimal conflict by possessing strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to utilize strong verbal and written communications skills to communicate effectively with team members and customers.
- Ability to freely access all areas of the store including selling floor, side lot, stock area and register area.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in basic computer skills.
- Ability to read, write, and count to accurately complete all documentation.
- Ability to operate and use all necessary equipment required to perform job duties such as a dolly, hand-truck, forklift, cardboard baler, computer, and cash register.
- Ability to move and transfer merchandise generally weighing 0 50 lbs.
- Ability to push or pull merchandise up to 2,000 lbs with the assistance of proper material handling equipment.
- Ability to crouch/squat, bend, stoop, and climb ladders.
- Ability to work varied hours, days, nights and weekends as scheduled.
- Upon successful completion of training and certification, work may require the ability to dispense propane.
- Ability to stand and walk for up to 4 hours straight without a break.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid drivers license.
Working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate. Exposure to inside conditions and moderate noise. Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions. If responsible, incumbent must wear gloves and face shield while dispensing propane.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent.
Click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application through our third party application portal.
Click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application through our third party application portal.